Monday, December 20, 2010

Through a child’s eyes


It has been years since the idea of Christmas has said anything to me other than “oh god.  Insanity!”  I guess I lost the excitement when I was about 15, and that’s a lot of years.  I see families starting to get ready for the holiday earlier and earlier each year.  It wouldn’t surprise me to see a summer barbecue / Christmas tree decorating party in the middle of August. It all gets so spread out, and blurred compared to that of my youth.  Decorating the tree on Christmas Eve, no presents until dad got home from church.  But I have had an awakening in the past six years.
My son says; “Daddy, can we get a tree, can we decorate, can we sing carols, come on Daddy, It is Jesus’ birthday!.”  I see the excitement, the anticipation, the joy.  I can’t look into his eyes with the same lethargic attitude that I’ve developed over my lifetime.  His enthusiasm for the true meaning of Christmas forces the joy into my heart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment