Thursday, October 14, 2010

My Time Has Come

So, about a year ago, my brother decided to start a blog.  He called it Squirt Guns in the Choir.  It was supposed to be about our lives  growing up as preachers kids at the Church of the Holy Spirit in Orleans Ma.  My brother was unable to finish his blog.  He was killed in April of this year.  Many of our mutual friends have asked me to continue what my brother started.  My brother was a great writer.  I can aspire, but I'm not sure that I'm there yet.  I have decided to make this a combination of my thoughts, continuing chapters to the original blog, and other writing as it comes to me.

 As some may know, I have been writing constantly for the past three years.  That is for work, this is for fulfillment. 

I wrote this as a speech for a close friend of Chris's who is running for the U.S. Senate.  Chris Coons was a close friend, colleague, and supporter of my brother's work.


My Time Has Come
By: George H. White

There once was a man, a rich man, rich in character, rich in conviction, and rich in courage.  A man with a vision of a free land, with equal opportunity for all of its citizens.  A man with the character to know what was right and what was wrong.  A man with the conviction to stand for what was right, even when it was unpopular to do so.  A man with the courage to carry though with his convictions, no matter the cost.   A man whose dream to retain the unity of our great country despite our differences, forced him into a savage war where valuable Americans lost their lives.  A man whose character, conviction and courage opened the doors for all Americans to be treated as equals.  A man who wrote; ‘that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.’  The man was our greatest President, Abraham Lincoln.
There once was a man, a rich man, rich in character, rich in conviction, and rich in courage.  A man with a vision of a free land, with equal opportunity for all of its citizens.  A man with the character to know what was right and what was wrong.  A man with the conviction to stand for what was right, even when it was unpopular to do so.  A man with the courage to carry though with his convictions, no matter the cost.    A man who marched against forces which seemed insurmountable.    A man who would not be ignored by the leaders of our country.  A man that gave his life for the most valued rights our nation has to offer.  A man who said; "I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: 'We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal." "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character."  The man was an American Saint, The Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.
There once was a man, a rich man, rich in character, rich in conviction, and rich in courage.  A man with a vision of a free land, with equal opportunity for all of its citizens.  A man with the character to know what was right and what was wrong.  A man with the conviction to stand for what was right, even when it was unpopular to do so.  A man with the courage to carry though with his convictions, no matter the cost.    A man who gave up the opportunity for wealth and riches to help his fellow man.  A man who built housing for the poor and brought food to the hungry.  A man who crafted legislation to protect the rights of homeowners from the greed of the banking industry, and to protect the rights of tenants from unscrupulous landlords.  A man who fought every day for the rights of the elderly, the sick, the homeless, and the impoverished of this state.  A man recognized by the US congress, the Vice President of the United States, the Governor of this state and all of its branches of government for his massive contributions to the poor.  That man was my little brother, Christopher White.
There once was a man, a man who sat comfortably in his home watching the world go by, complacent in his existence.  A man, not unlike many of us, who knows right from wrong, who helps his neighbor when the opportunity arises.  A man who always wanted to do more, but could never find the time.  A man who applauded the efforts of those with conviction, and secretly supported their effort.  That man is me.  But my time has come.  It is time for me to take the wheel and join the world of the brave.  Time to stand for what is right and fight against what is wrong.  Time to support my brothers close friend Chris, and help him to accomplish his goal.  Chris stood with my brother in many of his efforts.  It is time that I acknowledge his invaluable help for my brothers work.  Great brave men and women have been the heart of this country.  Give this brave man the opportunity to serve you as your U.S. Senator.

No comments:

Post a Comment