Thursday, October 14, 2010

One Voice

When things really piss me off, I write. 

 

One Voice

 

Ok, so I get why people would think that it's inappropriate to have a mosque across the street from ground zero (even though it is not actually across the street). I'm not sure how I feel about it either, considering one of my best friends was killed that day in Windows on the World. But here's the thing, didn't we form our country based on certain principals? Isn't freedom of religion one of those principals that men and women have given their lives for, for the past 200 plus years? I would never burn a flag, but I would fight for your right to do so. I’m not Islamic, but I am a Christian, and an American.  As such, I understand that others can, and do, have other forms of worship that I should respect.  To me this sounds simple, but because someone practices the Islamic faith, doesn't mean that he or she is a terrorist. I haven’t read the whole thing, but I’m fairly certain that Mohammad doesn’t call for cowardly terrorist attacks against innocent people anywhere in the Koran.  I have a hard time believing that many people out there are giving that idea much more than lip service.  Our unfounded fear of peaceful Islamic citizens is just that, unfounded.

It is easy to stand on your beliefs, but not so easy to defend the beliefs of those you don't agree with. If our country was guided only by individual moral judgment, the first one in line against the Mosque should be the JEWISH mayor of NYC, but he is one of the brave people defending the rights of the mosque.  He is also brave enough to defend the rights of this maniac minister in Florida.  I agree, he has the right to burn the Koran, but he is doing this solely out of a religious bias and hatred. His disrespect and irresponsible behavior may end up causing the good men and women of our armed services, as well as thousands of Americans living in Islamic nations to become even more vulnerable to extremist groups.  I realize that he has the right of free speech as an American, but does he have this same right as a Christian?  Jesus said “love thy neighbor” “turn the other cheek”, but I don’t recall anything about disrespect thy neighbor and burn their holy books.  Vengeance is mine sayeth the Lord.

The attack on 911 was more than the actual horrific event. It was an attack to instill fear. Is our fear of something we don't understand, or believe in, enough to drive us away from the principals our country
was based on? "The home of the brave" is sung across our country each
day, but what does that mean if we can only show our courage when it is comfortable.  Our worst fears should be directed toward some of our politicians, our so called leaders, sworn to uphold the constitution, who seem like they haven't read it yet. Ignorance is bliss. Their influence on the masses is what I fear more than another terrorist attack. They'll tell you anything that you want to hear to gain your support. Irresponsible rhetoric aimed at instilling more hatred and fear seems to be the word of the day.  The hypocrisy in statements made recently by our so called leaders , or former leaders who are able to get the ear of the media in order to bolster their movements, regarding the Mosque and the burning of the Koran, are repugnant to the rational responsible citizens of this country.

I feel that it is time that the good people of this country take our country back.   This type of behavior by our leaders is un-American. It is essential that we form a NONPOLITICAL party that is there to stand up for what is right. A party run by the people, for the people, not for the career politicians and lawyers.  Live by the constitution, don’t basterdize it.  A party where people can share new ideas not be told what to think.  Stand up for all Americans, the weak as well as the strong.  Allow the good people from other countries, looking to live here, to become contributing members of our society.  That, by the way, is how our country was formed; otherwise we would all be NATIVE Americans.  My family came here on ships from England and Sweden.  It was a long time ago, but they were immigrants.  Pay fair taxes for all.  Pay good teachers more than CEOs. (I am not a teacher, but I understand their value)  Penalize those who crowd our courts with frivolous law suits.(they do in England)  Offer jobs to our citizens before we shuffle them off to foreign countries, and penalize those companies that continue to practice this in order to avoid fair and decent wages. Define once and for all what is fair trade versus what is right.  Find our true values, the ones that our country was formed around, and live by them.  For unless we take back our country, our children will not have the values that we should all truly cherish, and the future of our beloved country will be dim at best.

My little brother, my best friend, my hero, was killed earlier this year.  My little brother lived his life by these values that I have discussed.  He was a humble giant whom I looked up to for his judgment and his character.  Not only I, but all of the branches of government in the State of Delaware, the Vice President of the United States, and the United States Congress showed their respect for his efforts to make this a better world.  My brother tried every day to change this world one person at a time.  Our President was elected because the majority of us wanted change.  The only way that I can see true change coming is if we all change one person at a time.  Be proud to give your seat to an older person, don’t do it out of guilt.  Do something nice for someone because you want to, not because you have to.  Hold the door for another, and then look behind you to see if anyone else is coming, because it is the right thing to do.  Count to ten before you blast your horn.  Smile at strangers, don’t start it off with a dirty look.  Keep it simple at first, it will grow with time.  I am certainly not perfect, not even close, but I try to be a better person every day.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t.  I want my little brother to be proud of his big brother, the same way I am of him and his legacy. “Take a look at yourself and make that change”.  Show our children what it is supposed to be.  Words are cheap.

George White (A patriotic American citizen brave enough to do the right thing and stand up for other citizens rights)

No comments:

Post a Comment